Encourage kids to become lifelong readers…
- Let your kids see you reading. Enjoy your summer read or magazine while your kiddos explore their own books.
- Select reading materials together.
- Visit your library or bookstore! Let children choose their own books.
- Read aloud to your child! Audio books are fun too!
Keep screen time to a minimum…sigh…this is no easy feat!
- -Crafts! The craft store is your friend! Joann’s and Michaels have amazing products that can keep kids busy and working both along with you, a sibling and on their own. From tie dye t-shirt kits, scrapbooking projects, to super simple sticker crafts for little ones, craft activities improve concentration, foster creativity and develop motor skills.
- Make screen time more memorable. Create a home movie experience together. Camp out on the living room floor with pillows or create your own “Drive” in Movie activity indoors or out (if you have a projector). Young children can even design their own “cars”! With old boxes, construction paper, glue, markers and a bit of imagination, they’ll be sitting pretty and enjoying the movie in their own cardboard box car creations.
Let them explore their inner scientist:
- Lego obstacle courses – Build a maze for toy cars or Hex-bugs.
- Make Slime – It’s a science experiment made real and is super easy.
- Build geodesic domes and other fun structures with toothpicks and mini marshmallows.
- Bird watching! Spread birdseed or create a birdbath so your child can draw or photograph the different visitors that arrive.
- Head for the zoo or a local farm and investigate different animal habitats. Encourage your child to take photographs, draw, or make a collage with old nature magazines to document what they discover. Abma’s Farm, Van Saun Park or Turtleback zoo are great for an afternoon excursion or just a quick break.
Ability School of Englewood has been educating children ages 4-13 for over 35 years. The school uses a 100% proficiency-based curriculum. Students work on individualized, self paced programs in small classes. The school has rolling admission and tours and applications for Pre-K through 8th grade are available on their website. Ability School’s Summer Camp runs for 3 -7 week sessions June 27 -August 12th and includes both academics and fun camp activities.